CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 1: What do I start with?

Where to even begin? That was the thought that entered my mind when I unlocked the door and stepped into my classroom.  The furniture was in a giant pile in the center of the room. I had 4 file cabinets that were stuffed full of things and three closets that were piled high.  Well I'll let you look and see for yourself.




I had no idea that I would inherit so many things. I probably stood in the middle of my classroom staring for 30 minutes. I called my mom and my sister begging them to tell me what to do.  I finally decided that the first step would be to move my desk since the docking station has a specific location that it has to be in. Then I moved the file cabinet that locked which holds all my IEP stuff. Then I sat and starred again. The custodian walked by a couple times and he finally poked his head in. He asked if I was new. I said "yes." He told me that he could tell because I had that "new teacher look." The one where they just stand there and stare.

So I made a plan.  For teachers who need specific components in their class this is what I did.

I knew I needed:
Whole Group
Small Group
Individual Work Station
4 Centers
Computers
Chill Zone
Teacher Zone

I moved the pieces that I knew had to go in certain locations such as the computers and my desk where the docking station is.  After I finished with those I took the furniture I knew I didn't want or was in the wrong room and stuck in the hall.  It was someone else's problem then!  I drew out my classroom on a piece of paper and started moving sticky notes around on it as if they were furniture.  Once I had something that I liked I began to move the actual furniture.

SO... I'll stop now and let you see for yourself.




I would love some feedback.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment